Monday, April 10, 2006

Please allow me to reintroduce myself

First off, thanks to all the guest bloggers who kept the site going while I was sitting on my ass. I should do this more often. An extra hats off to the virgin bloggers, Glasper, Maureen and Anne, who gets extra points for using a chart. I'm not a big fan of reading - I much prefer pictures and pretty colors.

So I made a rare foray above 23rd St and found myself in Midtown on Friday, where I took this photo:

segway chained

Crazy shit man, those wacky Midtown kids. Anyway, the photo ended up on Gothamist and the comment section is, to say the least, a mess. Can't we just enjoy the fact that the Bluth Corporation is now branching out to the East Coast?

So what's happened since while I've been gone? Well, I haven't really been gone, I guess, but the big story around these parts is the Duke lacrosse (alleged) rape case. I probably won't add anything that hasn't already been said ad nauseum, but I will add this:
  • If you asked people in Duke which athletic team would be most likely to cause this kind of trouble, I'm pretty sure men's lacrosse would've come out on top.

  • Similarly, if you asked a bunch of lacrosse people where an incident like this would happen, I'm pretty sure Duke and Carolina would be neck and neck with Maryland and Virginia fighting for 3 and 4.

  • Basically, ACC lacrosse players aren't thought of very highly, to say the least.

  • I do think it's unfortunate that the incident is being covered as a "Duke thing" and so much of the focus is on the racial tension, though that's natural given the demographics of the city and the university, I guess. I'm not sure if it's a "thing" at all, but if anything, class and gender are far more important than race here, and seriously, what university doesn't have town-gown issues? I mean, Carolina's a more socioeconomically diverse school in a town that's way more academic-friendly, but that didn't stop the town-gown tensions one bit.

  • Whether the lacrosse players are guilty or not, everyone comes out a loser in this. I'm really hoping all the charges are false, because I'd hate to think we live in a world where shit like that can go down. But I just can't imagine the case going this far if the accuser simply fabricated the story - it's not like the DA's office hasn't used a rape kit before.


  • More substantial posting coming up over the course of the week. I need a little time to get back on track, you know?

    << Home