Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Judith, you ignorant slut

"I'm sure I did many things that were not completely perfect in the eyes of either First Amendment absolutists or those who wrote every day saying 'Testify, testify, you're covering up for these people.' The pressures were enormous. I did the only thing I could do. I followed my conscience, and I tried to follow the principles that I laid out at the beginning."

Please. Shut up. Granted, I don't work in media or law and I only took one media law class in college, but I know pretty damn well that you weren't protecting a "source". The shield law you're going to crusade for wouldn't have kept you out of jail. Are we really supposed to believe that Dick Cheney's Number 2 was somehow under pressure and coerced? Your testimony would not have put a chilling effect on anonymous sources. If anything, a chilling effect on senior White House officials outing CIA agent would be awfully nice. Are we seriously taking lessons in principles from Ahmed Chalabi's ventriloquist dummy?

Okay, I've calmed down. And people who really should've known better and need to be slapping themselves in shame are those on the NY Times editorial board. They could have gently reminded Miller and the public that by refusing to testify, she was protecting someone who was (possibly, potentially) violating federal law using the media, not a "source". This story was never about the First Amendment or about confidentiality of a source. Rather than demand honesty from Miller, they continue to keep the hack on their payroll and allow themselves to be complicit in her grandstanding.

-------------

Also in this morning's Times, did you catch the graphic on this article and have the same reaction I did? As in, "Good lord, that thing is huge! [Wolf Blitzer] And so BLACK! [/Wolf Blitzer]"? If only that were the most disturbing part of the article. And yes, I am in fact 14 years old.

<< Home