Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The OC Season 3 Episode 12: What's my age again, what's my age again?



Previously: spinachdip nyc: The OC Season 3 Episode 11

Sorry for the lack of updates. I actually have a backlog of posts that I haven't gotten around to writing. I'll try to pick up the pace but I make no promises. But I'm 5 days late on the episode recap so you see where I am now.

So yeah, The OC. Honestly, I don't know how long I can keep watching this show. The past few weeks, I watch and try to remember why the show became a regular viewing in the first place. The dialog is nowhere near as smart as it used to be. Storylines went from charmingly over-the-top to just contrived, like the Taylor's mom/Summer's dad coupling. The emotional development of Ryan and Seth that used to drive the stories are now rarely revisited - does Seth say or do anything interesting besides the one-liners. Writers now dragged the Johnny-Marissa-Ryan triangle a whole month after its sell-by date. That's really the problem - the show used to be about the kids, and we cared about the kids - even Marissa. And this season, the tolerable episodes dealt with the actual characters, like Seth and Summer's college choice or Ryan learning to deal with his anger.

Seriously, what happened to my show?

Kaitlin, I'm okay with though. At least there's a reason for her being there, unlike the majority of the recurring characters. I have to say, however, 26-year-old Adam Brody remarking on 14-year-old Willa Holland's boobs is a wee bit disturbing. More than a wee bit, actually.

Oh, and what's up with holding a party for Kirsten and Julie's dating service and inviting Newport's most eligible? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of the dating service if you can get all of them in one place? I'm just saying.

I do love the cradle-robbing frat boys trying to get theirs from Kaitlin though. Not to sound homophobic or nothing, and not that the idea of fraternity isn't pretty homoerotic to begin with, but don't most frat boys hide their feminine side? Seriously, they're wearing lipstick!



Still, the idea of a college kid being in love with a 14-year-old who looks 16 and talking about how special she is? Again, cringe-inducing. Yes, she's jailbait. That's fucking special.

Dude, I don't know how long I can keep doing recaps/reviews. Is it okay if I just watch The Office on Thursday nights?

tags:

<< Home