Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Linkatharsis: do the hump day dance

  • It's almost New Yorker Festival time again and Productshop NYC has the lineup. The ones that intrigue me:
    FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23
    Readings by A. M. Homes and Jeffrey Eugenides | Satalla | 9:30PM | $15

    Readings by Zadie Smith and Jonathan Franzen | Directors Guild of America | 9:30PM | $15

    SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 24
    Panel Discussion on Anarchy and Animation: Cartoon chaos theory with Tad Friend (moderator), The Incredibles director Brad Bird, Matt Maiellaro, Dave Willis, and South Park's Trey Parker and Matt Stone | Directors Guild of America | 1PM | $25

    Panel Discussion on Stage to Studio: When performers produce with Sasha Frere-Jones (moderator), Steve Albini, Ani DiFranco, Ric Ocasek, and the RZA | Times Square Studios | 4PM | $25

    Noah Baumbach and Laura Linney talk with Susan Morrison: How I made my movie | Pavilion Park Slope | 7PM | $20

    Sleater-Kinney talk with James Surowiecki: A Conversation About The power of three | Newspace | 7PM | $35

    Ricky Gervais talks with Nancy Franklin: Office worker | Coda | 10PM | $35

    The Roots talk with Malcolm Gladwell: A Conversation On Grassroots hip-hop | Newspace | 10PM | $35

    SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 25
    Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk: A Salute to the Three Stooges - A Sunday brunch accompanied by clips from classic Three Stooges episodes and a discussion moderated by Adam Green. With Fred Armisen, Mike Cerrone, Gilbert Gottfried, and John Landis | Gallagher’s Steak House | 2PM | $45
    Tickets go on sale next Thursday. I need to figure out which ones I need to go to - tickets go pretty much go in a matter of minutes so you really have to be selective. Or run multiple browsers at once. Whatever works.

  • From Overheard in New York:
    Dude: Vegetables don't have calories. That's why Japanese people are so skinny.

    --Autozone, Bed-Stuy
    I can assure you, dude, that I eat plenty of meat, red ones too, and I'm still pretty fucking skinny.

  • More on that Running With Scissors lawsuit - basically, it's all lies, lies except the part that's true:
    The Turcottes contend that Burroughs fabricated or grossly exaggerated behaviors and events, portraying the family as ''an unhygienic, foul, and mentally unstable cult engaged in bizarre and, at times, criminal activity." At the same time, they complain the book so closely describes the late psychiatrist Rodolph H. Turcotte and his family -- even giving directions to the family home -- that everyone in the area knew who they were, subjecting them to humiliation and ridicule."
    As in all libel cases (at least in the US), truth is the ultimate defense and I do hope Burroughs wins this one, partly because I like his work and I wouldn't want to see the movie blocked, and partly because I'd hate to find out that I'd been lied to by his memoirs.

  • Reality hits reality show, hard. I guess it's unfortunate they happened to hit a reality show that seems to do a lot of good through the wonders of product placement. That'll teach them to help people in low income communities again.

  • Quote from yesterday's Virginia iBook riot:
    "I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,'' the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

    "They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just."
    Like they say, Virginia is for lovers.

  • From today's Gothamist freakout over the murder in front of Teany:
    Meat is murder. Is that what this is all about?

    Posted by: MOBY at August 17, 2005 12:40 PM

  • << Home