Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Guacamole flavored Doritos

Is there anything in the world better than that sticky green stuff? Good lawd I love junk food.

  • Coolfer and One Louder link to a Guardian piece on bands with 'firework' careers, as in getting hyped to hell by NME and its ilk before being forgotten very quickly.

    I have to admit, I enjoy a few of these bands - Franz, Bloc Party, The Arcade Fire etc. But you can't deny that the bands are fun as hell (well, I can't anyway)? Am I fickle? Eh. I'm not going to stop listening to Franz just because some other Glaswegian band is the next big thing and I can't see what the big deal is about, say, The Bravery or Kasabian.

    I understand the argument that labels aren't willing to make a long-term commitment to developing these bands because what's fresh today will be stale tomorrow and they don't have enough faith in the audience to build a format around one of these "indie" bands, but does the industry really guve them a chance? Surely the labels and the UK Hype Machine could nurture these artists slower if they wanted to.

  • When people ask me what my favorite kind of music is, I answer "nothing in particular, whatever sounds good". It's true to an extent - I could listen to Bowie, Del, Modest Mouse, Janis Joplin and Al Green in succession. I really don't have a favorite artist. But the fact is, I grew up on hip hop - I was listening to Underground 88 on WKNC back when the "Urban Contemporary" stations weren't playing Wu or Souls of Mischief. The only problem is that I hate about 60% of what's out there now. But really, is there a rock song that can make you bob your head like the instrumentals on "Shook Ones"?

  • You know what's the worst thing about the President doing live TV? When he makes those Letterman-fodder non-jokes and awkwardly waits for the laughter that's not forthcoming, that's what. It's amazing how much funnier he is when he's not trying to be funny.

    Not quite as bad is when they trot out the First Lady to show the softer side of Dubs.
    "But however charming her drawl, it was hard not to squirm at Laura's blithe assertion that 'George's answer to any problem at the ranch is to cut it down with a chainsaw. Which I think is why he and Cheney and Rumsfeld get along so well.' That comparison of the president's ranching style to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - one of her speech's better lines - was kind of cute, until you carried the analogy to its logical conclusion: The way Bush runs a ranch is similar to the way he conducts the business of state. The way Bush runs a ranch is clueless, absolutist, and wantonly destructive. Ergo ..."

  • Other Apple users seem to get really worked up over Mac OS X Tiger. Meh. Dashboard and .Mac Sync seem cool enough, and I hear it runs faster than the one I'm running. I think I'll try it out at the office.

  • Dixie Chicks recording with Rick Rubin. I like Rick and his work with Run-DMC, Johnny Cash and "99 Problems". I don't like Dixie Chicks. This should be interesting.

  • Alonzo Mourning: Jackass. Man, I so want to root for him but how do you pull such a dick move on a team that took a gamble on you sans insurance? Then to take a $10 mill buyout and make a big deal out of donating the minimum salary he's getting from Miami. Now that I think about it, I liked him back when he was in Charlotte, then he forced that trade to, yep, Miami. Once a dick, always a dick.

  • You know, I'd love to support soccer in this country and go out and watch The Game Of Their Lives, but if we are to trust Grant Wahl's review, it's probably not worth my time (not that it looks ike it's going to make to NYC theaters). If that's the best example of soccer movies, then it's probably better if Hollywood didn't make soccer films. But Hooligans? Maybe.

  • I wish I had more fresh material, but I don't. Thighs on the other hand never ceases to make me laugh.

  • Man, I really need some sneakers. Seeing stuff like this doesn't help my sneaker addiction one bit.

  • YNWA
  • << Home