Wednesday, April 27, 2005

This is fun for like 30 minutes

Fun with Google satellite photos - it's goofy and pointless, but I have to admit, it's a nice time killer. Basically, you use the satellite photo feature at Google Maps and look at overhead shots of landmarks, famous or personal. So yeah, it's good fun for a short while.

New York isn't the best city for doing this since buildings are densely packed and stuff tends to be tall and narrow, Even the Empire State Building is easy to miss. But you can easily make out places like the West Side Railyard and Shea Stadium and Flushing Meadows.

Some of my favorites:
The picture quality is pretty blah - the pics are taken in the morning so the shadows get in the way and the patching is ugly, though to be fair, I bet my pictures would suck if I had to take them from outer space. Who am I to judge? And to whoever told me the Great Wall of China is the only manmade structure visible from space - well, you're so wrong. Ha!

<< Home