Wednesday, May 17, 2006

YouTube: the cause of, and the solution to all of life's problems

I know it's a little late to be recapping sporting events from the weekend, but I still can't get over this, qu'est ce que c'est, brace by Steven Gerrard:



Absolutely top drawer indeed. Someone's going to have to update his top 10.

His first goal in the match wasn't bad either, but back in my overly romanticized playing days, I found it much more satisfying to send in the perfect pass to set up a goal than to score myself, and I can't help but watch Gerrard's long ball to set up Cisse's volley over and over and over again. So yeah, you could say I have a new mancrush (you might also enjoy the match highlights if you like a little Sigur Ros with your soccer, or vice versa).

Anyway, it's not so bad being a Liverpool supporter right now. This year, like last, the club ended a season with two dramatic finals that involved Liverpool coming back to tie a match 3-3 in the second half, and then having the goalkeeper redeem coming up huge in extra time and penalty kicks. Sure, Chelsea has a stranglehold on the league, but it all seems so inevitable and anti-climactic for them. I doubt Chelsea fans will ever experience anything as satisfying as what Liverpool supporters went through last May.

And it's not so bad being a soccer fan right now. Yeah, we're having a cracker of a postseason in the NBA, but let's see, we just had the most exciting FA Cup final in recent memory, a Champions League final this afternoon, pitting two of the most stylish teams in Europe, and in less than a month, the World Cup to occupy us for a few weeks.

There are going to be a few weekday afternoons spent inside bars, I imagine.

Speaking of drinking, it might be time to slow down a bit. Or so I'm told. I wouldn't know, I don't remember any of the shit that happened after about my 5th or 6th tequila shot. Thank god for lovely friend, or I might still be lying face down at 2nd Avenue & St. Mark's.

Finally, this goes out to all my readers. I don't think I've told you how much I love you kids. Our love holds on, holds on.

<< Home