Thursday, February 16, 2006

I don't talk about The OC enough

Wait, that's not true.

But regular readers of this site might have noticed that I stopped doing weekly episode recaps since January. There's a simple reason - I don't watch the show any more.

Two weeks ago, I was too busy and never got around to watching it. Last week, I started watching, couldn't stand it and switched over to The Office. I mean, I still loves me some Rachel Bilson and I am intrigued by, not attracted to, the very underaged Kaitlin Cooper.

But as I opined in my previous OC post, the show is a mere shell of what it used to be (and the first season really was great. Seriously, Netflix that motherfucker). I don't give a shit about the characters any more. Ryan and Marissa never developed any chemistry, yet the writers still want us to root for them. Summer's reverted to vapid, though occasionally helpful. Seth is Screech with better genes. Sandy and Kirsten are no longer the rock that held the show. I could keep going on and on.

I guess the show's shortcomings were the reason I started blogging about it in the first place. It was bad enough to crack jokes about it, but good enough that I could waste an hour watching it, then another hour writing about it. But the balance between awful and entertaining was always delicate and perhaps expecting that balance to stay was unrealistic.

I'll miss writing about it. It's the reason a lot of my regular readers came to the site. And I will always cherish the OC board game, probably the greatest gift a blogger can give another blogger.



Most of all, I'll miss Seth, Summer, Ryan, and even Marissa. But they might as well have splashed onto the rocks with Johnny Harper, because they're not the same characters they were 2 years ago. Not even the return of Samaire Armstrong is enough to bring me right back to where we started from. And as my absolute favorite blogger on earth forksplit points out, nobody wants to read depressing shit without something redeeming (if you don't subscribe to Fork, you're doing yourself a disfavor. Run, don't walk, to Bloglines or whatever RSS aggregator you use).

If you want recaps and sarcasm and whatnot, you should go to people who are actually good at it, like TVgasm and TWoP.

Oh, and you should also click your ass over to Central Village on Friday to download whatever song they played in the previous night's episode - I can't thank Jeff enough for sending his readers to my recaps back when I was averaging two visitors a day.

tags:

<< Home