Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Believer plus Linkatharsis: The "I Hate Right Wingers" Edition

I just got the current issue of The Believer, the music only issue. I haven't made a dent in it, but I got it mostly for the CD that's included. Looks good, as do interviews with Beck and Karen O and the regular contribs from Nick Hornby and Amy Sedaris.

Track listing:
  1. The Decemberists: “Bridges & Balloons” by Joanna Newsom
  2. Spoon: “Decora” by Yo La Tengo
  3. The Constantines: “Why I Didn’t Like August 93” by Elevator to Hell
  4. CocoRosie: “Ohio” by Damien Jurado
  5. The Mountain Goats: “Pet Politics” by Silver Jews
  6. San Serac: “Late Blues” by Ida
  7. The Shins: “We Will Become Silhouettes” by the Postal Service
  8. Josephine Foster: “The Golden Window” by the Cherry Blossoms
  9. Cynthia G. Mason: “Surprise, AZ” by Richard Buckner
  10. Jim Guthrie: “Nighttime/Anytime (it’s alright)” by the Constantines
  11. Espers: “Firefly Refrain” by Fursaxa
  12. Two Gallants: “Anna’s Sweater” by Blear
  13. Vetiver: “Be Kind to Me” by Michael Hurley
  14. Ida: “My Fair, My Dark” by David Schickele
  15. Mount Eerie: “Waterfalls” by Thanksgiving
  16. Devendra Banhart: “Fistful of Love” by Antony & The Johnsons
  17. Wolf Parade: “Claxxon’s Lament” by Frog Eyes

I would've gotten the mag even without the CD though - I'm a big traditionalist when it comes to reading. I just don't dig the internet at all. Hell, I'd prefer to do this blog on paper if I could.

That said, today's links:
  • Coldplay wants to recharge your ipod.

  • Michael Wilbon on my favorite pro basketball player and former Tar Heel, Rasheed Wallace. I can't tell you how much I enjoy watching him play, and how much he infuriates me. That said, I'm rooting against Deeeetroit Baaasketbaaaall tonight.

  • Karl Rove can kiss my ass:
    "Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers"

    I can't begin to tell you how inaccurate and unforgivable this statement is. And the sad thing is, I'm not all that surprised that Rove uttered this, in New York City of all places - this is what the Powers That Be in the White House and the Capitol do, demonize and misrepresent their opposition, and their supporters buy it hook line and sinker. Even sadder, this is going to get minimal play by the media, especially compared to whatever Durbin or Dean.

    I don't believe in hell but if there is one, I hope there is a special place for Rove and his ilk.

  • All the cool kids are moving uptown. Or not.
    "'I don't want to see guys in khakis getting loud over sports," he says. Instead, he cabs down to the Lower East Side to hang out at stalwarts like Max Fish or Pianos or The Hat - although he's nevertheless likely to run into his domestic-beer-drinking, khaki-wearing Upper East Side brethren down there on Friday and Saturday nights.

    "It's like Disneyland - it looks like the kids from the bar on 86th Street just came down and took it over," he says.

  • So useless, so

    awNature\ODCP_2656E


    Spell with flickr (via Cool Hunting)

  • Right wingers hate your freedom.

    You know, I have to hand it to the wingnuts. They manufacture a virtually nonexistent problem, flag burning and fight like hell until the strawman comes tumbling down but somehow get people to believe they're sincere, all the while distracting voters from their own naughty business.

  • Okay, this is some dumb ass shit.

    She's suing the radio station? "You just can’t do that to people"? Please. Of course you can do it to people, especially people dumb him to promise money that they don't have yet. I'm siding with the DJ here.

  • Shox News: We Distort, You Comply

  • I've already talked about what Congress is trying to do to public broadcasting, but I just have to link to this NY Times article just for the picture. Clifford looks so sad! And the TV camera adds about 3,000 pounds, it appears.

  • That's it, good night kids.

    << Home