Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Sorting through last week's "To Post" file

I'm still playing catchup. I just need to get all this last week stuff out of my system so I can get on with this week.

  • I know Paula Abdul jokes are so last week but then again, so this this Slate piece really is from last week:
    "'I thought to myself, Wow, he's not going to open the door for me. But the way you just walked in and let it shut behind you - it looked totally effortless. That was all you, Corey. You really grew as a result of it. I'm a fan.'"

  • Going further back, from Productshop NYC's review of Coachella:
    [Black Star] bounced and shimmied their way past the 11:45pm curfew. As their scheduled time came and went, Mos didn't want to leave the stage. Security stood side stage calling them to end their set but Mos announced to them, "I know the law. I know the fine. Don't worry about it. Seriously. I'll pay it. I don't care what it is, I'll pay it all. Let's keep this going." And indeed he did for another twenty minutes until they pulled the plug on him"

  • Dude, I don't want to sound homophobic or nothing but what's with that Subway commercial that has Jared say "Oh, and there's another thing you won't find at Wendy's - me." Was it just me or did your gaydar go off the charts too? I don't know if the copywriter was feeling especially snappy that day or they were trying to give Jared a vibe but I was all "ZING!" I mean, if Jared's gay, that's cool and all, but I'm not sure if he knows he's playing a gay dude on TV.

    Speaking of Subway commercials, one of the great joys of living in the Tristate is the local spot starring Willie Randolph. There is nothing like the tiny orgasm I get in my ears every time Willie says "Yeah, it's a lot of meat!" (wow, that's homoerotic, isn't it?) Who doesn't love that? If you don't love that commercial, I don't want to know you. Stop reading right now. Go away.

  • Not to paint any group of people with too broad a brush but GOPers' tendency to self delude and vote against their own interests never ceases to amaze me. One of the books I'm reading now, Culture of Fear is a great look at how the media exaggerates non-issues, stigmatizes the voiceless and otherwise dictates the discourse to favor the powers that be. Nothing new, of course - it's the old "man bites dog" thing, but it's interesting to see it all quantified.

  • Finally, from the TWoP recap of last week's The OC:
    "That would be like trying to have sex with Summer via Marissa's vagina: improbable, unpleasant, and ultimately futile."
  • << Home