Tuesday, December 14, 2004

You say Chanukah, I say Hanukkah

Happy Hanukkah to all my chosen people friends. I know, I know, the 8 days are almost over and I would've totally forgetten if I didn't see the Menora Mobile last night. But still.

A celebration of Hanukkah set to the song you absolutely don't want to hear again in 2005:
- Hanukkah Hey Ya - Hey Ya Jewish Remix (thanks to Michael K)

Also using the "yo is oy backwards" joke is NY Times, on the blending of Judaism and hip hop.
Indeed, the notion of Jewish artists performing in traditionally black forms is not as incongruous as it might seem. Reggae lyrics, for instance, have often included explicit references to the Old Testament. Matisyahu said that the closest thing he saw to the authentic Judaism he found overseas was in 'Exodus' by Bob Marley.

"It is not Jewish music," he said, 'but it is filled with images of Judaism. I created my own internal feelings about what it meant to be Jewish and connected it to reggae music.'
By the way, I've mentioned Matisyahu before, after his appearance on Kimmel a couple of months. I'm not a reggae fan by any means, but the kid's flow is undeniable.

<< Home