5 initial reactions on Harriet the Nominee
- Ugh. Another lawyer for hire with their hazy past and their plausible deniability.
- Miers is no John Roberts, who was always Rehnquist's replacement.
- Is this Bush being loyal to a member of his circle or is the swing vote going to Scalia/Thomas bloc?
- Like with Roberts, I don't care about her partisan leanings or views on Roe v Wade specifically. I do care about how she applies precedence and her views on rights not explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, namely privacy.
- I'm sure Bush wants a quick confirmation but he's also catching heat for nominating a moderate (?) like Roberts. He has to throw a bone to the social conservatives right? Who knows what he's going for here?