Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Belated weekend wrap: I don't want to sound like an alcoholic or nothing but...

Work is being stupid silly. So I'm back in New York after a weekend in South Jersey (which to my pleasant surprise smells nothing like North Jersey) and a trip to a wedding of my girlfriend's family friend. Now, at your next wedding, please keep the following tip in mind:
  • Do serve alcohol.
That would have helped quite a bit.

The day certainly didn't get off to a happy start, as we had to get up early and drive 2 hours from Jersey to the Pennsylvania Dutch country for the 11 am wedding. The wedding itself wasn't too bad, except for the preacher giving a 5-minute lecture on how the wife has to be submissive to the husband. Creepy. Then, there was a 15 minute drive through the countryside to get to the reception site, where we waited over an hour before the bride and groom showed.

It didn't help much that we knew no one else at the wedding, and it was sufficiently confirmed that I was out of place when Christian rock started playing in the background as we ate, though Maureen had to remind me that I was the only non-white person in attendance. Man, that doesn't happen too often around here.

Maureen was apologetic for bringing me to the wedding, but really, she was just as uncomfortable as I was, and she had to drive through the shitty traffic. She deserved a drink more than anyone.

Anyhoo, otherwise uneventful weekend. Did a mini tour of South Jersey and a stroll on the Atlantic City boardwalk. Would've been nicer if the weather had cooperated, but what are ya gonna do?

In any case, for all the kids out there, alcohol at the reception is a MUST. And dance, dammit!


<< Home