Saturday, October 16, 2004

Watch this now and thank me later III: Jon Stewart, my hero

Stewart on Crossfire (Aaron Swartz: The Weblog)

Jon Stewart sticks it to the host of CNN's Crossfire.
STEWART: But the thing is that this -- you're doing theater, when you should be doing debate, which would be great.

BEGALA: We do, do...

STEWART: It's not honest. What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. And I will tell you why I know it.

CARLSON: You had John Kerry on your show and you sniff his throne and you're accusing us of partisan hackery?

STEWART: Absolutely.

CARLSON: You've got to be kidding me. He comes on and you...

STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls. What is wrong with you?

CARLSON: Well, I'm just saying, there's no reason for you -- when you have this marvelous opportunity not to be the guy's butt boy, to go ahead and be his butt boy. Come on. It's embarrassing.

STEWART: I was absolutely his butt boy. I was so far -- you would not believe what he ate two weeks ago. You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one.

Excellent stuff. Though I wonder if Stewart will ever be booked on any of the "hard hitting" news shows on the cable news networks.

Update:
Video and audio files of the broadcast are also available here (Contemporary Insanity)

<< Home