Monday, August 30, 2004

I ♥ Republicans

So the weekend went by pretty fast, even though there were some lulls. Friday was more or less chill. Went down to Good World Bar & Grill, a nice little joint just down the block from me on Orchard St. Have I mentioned I love my neighborhood already? God, I love being able to walk, nay, stumble to a drinking hole. I haven't even begun to explore my neighborhood yet.

So met a few of Maureen's law school friends. Apparently, they were the only nice people in school. Fantastic.

Saturday, went shoe shopping for M. There was a fat green/red Puma Anjan she would've gotten had there been a pair in her size. Seriously. Green/Red. It was awesome, dude. So after much ado, I ended up getting a pair of winter boots. I know, it's still August and fucking 85 degrees out. But I like to be prepared, and I've gone 3 New York winters without a pair of true winter boots. Hey, I'm worth it, or so says my shampoo bottle.

Then, we hit the farmer's market at Union Square. Now, this is the difference between me and Maureen kicks in, or maybe it's the difference between men and women. When I go to a grocery store, I already have a mental list of what I want and just check things off the list one by one. She prefers to see what's good and take time browsing.
Anyway, I didn't know what to do for dinner, so I basically said "Dude, I'm ceding all control to you." It didn't help that I was getting dehydrated and closer to a heat stroke than I realized at the time, so I increasingly felt the urge to get the hell out of there, and she thought I was spacing out and generally being difficult.

But all's well that ends well. We ended up getting a bunch of cherry tomatoes, and she went all out and made a kickass tomato/basil/mozzarella salad thingy and an even more kickass pico de gallo you will see pictured here:


Saw Hero later that night. Seriously incredible. I went in half expecting a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon redux, but got something way better. Beautiful cinematography - who could've thought violent swordplay could be so beautiful? Great storytelling as well.

Anyway, I wanted to hit a bar for a couple of drinks, but we ended up getting a six of PBR and chilling with some chips and the aforementioned pico de gallo.



BTW, did I mention how much I love Republicans? I thought I would hate having the RNC in NY. Well, I still hate it. It's sickening the lengths they would go to exploit the memories of 9/11. But it appears to have sparked a good amount of dissent on the part of the previously latent liberal/activist element in the city. So far, the protesters have been the news of the day - and for the most part, not negative. We'll see how this plays out over the course of the week though.

But as of this weekend, I've seen about 200 anti-Bush t-shirts to absolutely zip zero for Republicans/Bush. Though that may be because I rarely venture above 23rd St and I think the RNCers are too squared to come downtown.

A link for y'all, y'all:
The Sports Guy - 8/27/04
On Ashlee Simpson
SG: You forgot to throw in the weird "I know she's not that cute, but the more I'm watching this, the more I'm talking myself into it" phenomenon that's uniquely peculiar to both Ashlee and the WNBA. Also, neither of them actually have next. Although they think they do.

See, I find Ashlee Simpson more attractive than Jessica. But that may be because I simply don't find Jessica that attractive. She seems so... packaged. Sure, she's pretty and has big boobs. I don't know if it's the personality (or the absence thereof) but she does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe Ashlee appeals to me simply because she's different. Jessica is so unattractive to me that any alternative will do, perhaps?

In the same column, Simmons lists Donald Williams and Joe Forte in his "Miles Simon/Bo Kimble All-Star Team for College guys whose pro potential I totally misjudged." Now, I'm as big a Tar Heels fan as the next guy, but I knew when they were coming out of school that they absolutely no chance. They were both undersized shooters who couldn't handle the ball or create their own shots. Good college guys, fish out of water in the NBA. Simmons should know NBA well enough to know that they weren't going to make it.
You know, kids like Trajan Langdon and Forte and Shawn Respert, they do well in college because if you can shoot, you can kill. But at the pro level, the athletes are simply better. They're bigger, faster, quicker, and if you can't create your own shots, then you damn well have other dimensions to your game beyond scoring.

Okay, that's it. I gotta get dressed and stumble to work.

Today's song: The Roots - Stay Cool

<< Home